Maintenance…What is it? It is an attitude. An attitude that takes a mind set to maintain or preserve something, or the process of keeping something in good condition. Our industry requires various attitudes…the service attitude, the discipline attitude, the business attitude, and the list goes on, but the maintenance attitude is what sells our product…ICE! That is what customers are buying and what skating facilities are selling. So what is one of the many components that makes our ice physically appealing to sell….the Ice Resurfacer.
Here is an outline of the types of fossil fuel IR maintenance, cost, stages to complete them and roughly what budget each off season.
- Types of IR Maintenanc
A. Reactive: Broken bearing, fouled spark plug, blown radiator hose
* Cons: Short life expectancy, unexpected down time, uncontrollable budgets
* Pros: Lower initial cost, less staff, no planning needed.
B. Preventative: Clean, lubricate, adjust, minor component replacement
* Cons: Planning and time to complete
* Pros: Extends life, efficient, increases up time, less unplanned maintenance
- Performing Types of IR Maintenance
* In-House Challenges: Time to complete, Knowledge (parts swappers), Tools can be $$$
* Out-Sourced: Dedicated time, Factory Trained, Tools are owned and specific
- What, When & How Much
* Daily: Inspect and Grease Auger Bearings - Facility Staff
* Weekly: Inspect, Blade Change, Clean Blade Holder, Grease conditioner/auger points - Facility Staff
* Monthly: Inspect & Grease ALL Grease Points - Facility Staff
* 80-100 hours: Inspect and Oil & Oil Filter Change via In-House or Authorized Dealer
-Authorized Dealer: $300 - $500
* Annual: Factory Annual Maintenance via Factory Trained & Authorized Dealer
- Authorized Dealer: $3000-$4000
* Three to Five Years: Auger Bearings, Pins, Bushings, Car Battery, Conditioner Work
-$2000 - $4000 Depending on Extent of Conditioner Work
* Eight to Ten Years: Consider trade in for best Return On Investment
* Ten to Twelve Years: Trade in or Rebuild IR to Eliminate Constant Repair
- $15,000 - $30,000
Take a brief moment to decompress….OK…Ready? Keep in mind the above outline is bias towards fossil fuel IR’s and that the estimated costs are just that…estimated costs. All authorized dealer’s cost will very depending on travel, work completed, and the maintenance program that was designed specifically for your facilities needs.
So when planning your IR maintenance this summer contact CIAS to help develop a custom Preventative IR Maintenance Program that will create a Class A Maintenance Attitude throughout your facility. If you own an electric IR…don’t worry…we will get in to that in our next article so don’t go too far.
See you at the rink!